Monday 9 November 2015

Letter to Father (A young heart in tears)


Dear father,
Since my last letter to you I have become even more worried than before. Why are you doing this to us father? Why are you making your own children so unhappy? My young heart is in tears.
My sister has told me that you have not changed an inch; and that you continue to treat my mother as a beast of burden; that the last thing you said to her was to pack and go. Where do you want her to go?
Which other home does she have? Should an old woman like my mother pack her things and go back to her parents? Remember that you have shared everything together for as long as I know: a common home; a common bedroom and a common bed.
Many times you have made tears roll down my cheeks because of the beastly way you have treated my mother. How can a man treat his wife as a beast the way you treat my mother? Don’t forget, father, that my mother is the mother of your children; the children you have always said you loved so much. How do you love us but hate our mother to this extent?
You treat my mother more like an engine for the production of your children; and a machine that must do all the work in the house. You keep telling my mother to get into the kitchen; that the place of the woman is in the kitchen; that she is to be heard and not to be seen. You say she must bear as many children as it pleases you, regardless of the danger that this poses to her life.
Each time mum wants to go out into the world and do things for herself as other women are doing in order that her voice may be heard you push her back telling her that she is to be seen and not to be heard.
Father, you have travelled far and wide and know that the place of the woman is not in the kitchen. Mother can do things. Mother can do great things.  She can move mountains. I see a giant lurking in mother searching for a way to leap forward and move the world. Why are you frustrating her?
Please, daddy, give her a chance. Help her; encourage her; assist her; work in partnership with her and both of you will do wonders.
If you really love us, love our mother as well. We cannot be happy when she is sad.
Thank you, father for being such a loving father to us.
I love you,
Bye
Your son

No comments:
Write 10