Monday 6 July 2015

Kat Stewart: ‘I never thought I’d work again’ after giving birth


Kat Stewart admits she “left her run” with kids a bit late because she was so career focused.
A USUALLY very private Kat Stewart has opened up on Show & Tell about returning to work after welcoming her first child.
The Aussie actress sat down on the couch with co-founder Katie ‘Monty’ Dimondand revealed she didn’t think she would ever act again after giving birth to her son Archie three years ago.
“I had this paranoia that if I had a baby — which is probably why we put it off for so long — that I’d never work again and that I would lose all my ambition and focus and that I’d be a different person.
“I would morph into a pod person and you’d never see me again,” the 42-year-old, who welcomed Archie with husband David Whiteley in January 2012, said.
“So I made all of these commitments to do work after I had Archie ... but I also worked right through and I didn’t actually ... tell anyone till I was about five months.”
The Logie Award winner admitted the pair “put off” having children for years because they were so career focused.
“It was wonderful and we put off doing anything about kids for quite a while because we were so focused on work. And I wasn’t a particularly clucky person ... it was a bit of an adjustment.”
Stewart, who Australian viewers know and love for her starring roles on Offspring as Billie Proudman, Underbelly as Roberta Williams and Tangle as Nat Manning, said she worked right up until she was 38 weeks pregnant.
“I did Tangle and I did Offspring and I only told people when I had to. I was just a bit nervous about it and a bit protective of it, and I wanted it to be our experience before kind of telling people.”
Stewart said after it was decided that her character Billie wouldn’t have a baby, production went to extremes to conceal her growing baby bump while filming season three.


“We had big handbags and sometimes I was carrying pizza boxes for no apparent reason, or they shot me through potplants or through windowsills and hedges. We kind of got away with it, sort of.”

Asher Keddie and Kat Stewart star together in Ten’s drama Offspring.
Asher Keddie and Kat Stewart star together in Ten’s drama Offspring. Source: Channel 10

Stewart returned to work just five weeks after welcoming Archie, and admitted she “felt a responsibility” to get back into filming.
“Because I got pregnant before we’d had the green light on series three, and then about two days later it was like, ‘yeah, we’re doing series three’.”
Tackling the issue all Offspring fans still live in hope of, Monty asked Stewart whether viewers can expect to see the beloved drama return for a sixth season.
“I don’t know where the show is at,” she admitted.
“When we were shooting it [season five], we thought that was it, and it felt like you could leave it there. But it’s since shifted and shifted, and I don’t know ...”
Yuo can check out the rest of Kat Stewart’s Show & Tell interview online.



Could Billie Proudman and Mick Holland be back on our screens at some point?
Could Billie Proudman and Mick Holland be back on our screens at some point? Source: Supplied

No comments:
Write 10