Saturday 18 July 2015

Are you man enough to wear makeup?



Because he’s worth it too. Men, it’s finally your turn. After decades of encouraging women to conceal, contour and define, the billion-dollar cosmetics industry has turned its attention to men.
Thanks to our image-conscious society, make-up for men is a booming market. And it’s more than just guy-liner.
With the modern man now getting spray tans, following sophisticated skincare regimens and manscaping, it was only a matter of time before they began applying make-up.
Leading the charge are celebrities including Jared Leto, Johnny Depp, Russell Brand and Daniel Johns who are all no stranger to using foundation, guy-liner and mascara while up on stage.
But the trend has filtered through to average blokes, who have begun adding 
make-up application to their ever expanding daily grooming regimen.

Renu 28 beauty products.
Renu 28 beauty products. Source: Supplied
Paula's Choice beauty products.
Paula's Choice beauty products. Source: Supplied
Celebrity make-up artist Normie Gonzales concedes make-up is no longer just worn by men behind the camera or on stage.

“The modern man is much more concerned with grooming these days, which has opened up the market for men’s make-up,” Gonzales says. “Men want to look their best and are open to trying products which are going to enhance their looks. It is about them being clean and distinguished and make-up specifically for men helps to achieve this look.”
 
Celebrity skincare therapist Ingrid Seaburn said the industry has taken notice of the trend and is cashing in with new ranges of male make-up.

“Thanks to the massive boom, there are now men’s products available in the market. Men take care of their bodies, why not take care of their skin as well?”


AFTER: Eddie Wrenn
AFTER: Eddie Wrenn Source: News Corp Australia


BEFORE: Eddie Wrenn
BEFORE: Eddie Wrenn Source: News Corp Australia
Big-name brands including Clinique and Tom Ford have created new guy-geared cosmetics, as has actor-turned-model-turned entrepreneur Beau Mooi.

Mooi created BM cosmetics after becoming tired of trying to work with foundation for females.


“A BM cosmetic is for all types of guys and gives them the chance to put their best face forward. Women wear make-up to feel better about themselves and it’s the same for guys who want to look their best,” Mooi says.
Mooi’s range consists of an anti-ageing BB Cream, mineral pressed foundation, concealer pot, bronzer, bronzing lotion and mascara, with all products promising to provide an “undercover” and “subtle” look.
“Women’s make-up is ground-down twice, where ours is ground down four to three times so it is really light,” he said. “Men really love that it hides your blemishes and gives you a glow and makes you look healthy. It looks really natural.”

AFTER: Troy Lennon.
AFTER: Troy Lennon. Source: News Corp Australia
BEFORE: Troy Lennon.
BEFORE: Troy Lennon. Source: News Corp Australia
To put his theory to the test, Insider recruited four of our male colleagues to try out male make-up.


Deputy sports editor of The Daily Telegraph Peter Fitzgerald wasn’t convinced.
“It was all a bit weird,” he said. “I’ve never worn make-up before and, to be honest, don’t intend to wear it again. I didn’t have any specific issue with it, as in my skin didn’t have a reaction to it or anything, but I don’t really see the point. I hate it enough when you see girls caked up with make-up. Why would guys go down that path too?”


Fitzgerald said he’s happy to stick to his simplistic morning skincare regimen.
“I moisturise after I shave, have for years, but I think most guys do that now, whereas the generation before us probably didn’t,” he said.

AFTER: Peter Fitzgerald.
AFTER: Peter Fitzgerald. Source: News Corp Australia
BEFORE: Peter Fitzgerald.
BEFORE: Peter Fitzgerald. Source: News Corp Australia
“But I think blokes rocking up to the pub for a Saturday afternoon beer with a face full of make-up and eyeliner might be taking the piss a bit.

“Nobody noticed I was wearing it, except those who knew I was doing it, and came up for a close look. To be honest I’d even forgotten I had it on, but I also don’t think it made any difference to how I look. It’d take a bit more than some toner and powder to spice me up.”
Online journo Eddie Wrenn was more enthusiastic about his moment in make-up.
“I had mentally prepared what I was going to say if someone asked me if I was wearing make-up ... but there was no need, because once it was on my face, you could barely notice it,” he said.
“That’s not to say it didn’t make a visible difference though. For the rest of the day, compliments floated my way like you look fresh and you’re looking really healthy today.

AFTER: Lachlan Urwin.
AFTER: Lachlan Urwin. Source: News Corp Australia
BEFORE: Lachlan Urwin.
BEFORE: Lachlan Urwin. Source: News Corp Australia
“The only predicament I had was figuring out what my secret was: do I honestly admit to wearing make-up? Or just gleefully lie about my good genes?”

No comments:
Write 10